OnlineBookClub.org

About hsimone

Favorite book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Favorite author: J.K. Rowling

Currently reading: 1984

Location: Snuggling with a Book :)

• Lost Friend Found
      by Zachary Ryan

View official review by hsimone - Published July 28, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

About the Author: "Zachary Ryan moved from his hometown in Maryland to Chicago, where he has lived for the past three years. There, he has surrounded himself with a group of friends who embrace him for the broken soul he has always been meant to be—a beautiful reminder that no matter who you are, you are never truly alone. As a writer and a human being, Ryan hopes to connect with all the “freaks,” outsiders, and fellow broken souls of the world, reassuring them that it is a blessing, not a tragedy, to be whoever they are meant to be."

• Tears of My Angel
      by Benedetta Lino

View official review by hsimone - Published December 20, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

About the Author: "Benedetta Lino was born in Palermo, Sicily. She came to the United States in 1966 and Attended Our Lady of the Angels grammar school and the Immaculata High Sghool. Lino resides in Elmwood Park, Illinois, with her husband Tany, and their two children"

• Reverie
      by Lauren E. Rico

View official review by hsimone - Published September 17, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on B&N | on Smashwords

About the Author: "Lauren Rico was going to be principal French horn of the New York Philharmonic. That was HER plan, anyway. The New York Philharmonic had no idea of her intentions, and that's probably a good thing, since she wasn't an especially good French horn player! Lauren was, however, an exceptionally good classical music radio host. Calling herself a "Classical Music Reanimator," she has made a career of demystify classical music for her audiences by taking it off a dusty old pedestal and putting it into a modern context. It's only been over the last couple of years that Lauren has discovered a passion for writing, which she's managed to combine with her love and knowledge of the classical music world. That's when she had the realization that she had something special with this story of love and obsession and music. You can hear Lauren Rico on SiriusXM's Symphony Hall Channel; on WSHU-FM in the New York metro; WSMR in Tampa/Sarasota, FL; WDAV in Charlotte, NC and KMFA in Austin, TX"

• Constant Guests
      by Patricia Nedelea

View official review by hsimone - Published July 9, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

About the Author: "My name is Patricia Nedelea and I'm currently living in Transylvania. After lots of life changes, I decided to become a full-time fiction writer. Constant Guests is my first novel. My childhood dream was to be on stage, and after years of hard work I became a professional actress. Then I wanted to do something different, so I became an academic: I've got four Master Degrees and two PhDs. One of my PhDs was mostly about deconstruction, a reading and writing method I'm in love with. I've deconstructed and reconstructed Shakespeare, and the result was the academic book Femina Ludens. The other PhD was on Medieval and Renaissance history, more specifically on Tarot history. Historians have agreed that the questions about tarot origins are to be left unanswered, but I did not want to accept that. My novel Constant Guests offers an alternative answer to those questions."

• Yesterday
      by Samyann

View official review by hsimone - Published June 30, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on B&N

About the Author: "Samyann is a Chicago native. A lifelong fascination with the rich history of her city, coupled with an abiding curiosity about the intersection of past, present, and future, have led to the creation of a speculative masterpiece, Yesterday-A Novel of Reincarnation."

• Mystic Tides
      by C.J.Godwin

View official review by hsimone - Published January 9, 2017

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

About the Author: "C.J. Godwin has been obsessed with mermaids ever since the age of 5, when she saw Ariel in theaters. After finally reading the much darker original tale, back in 2011, she was inspired to create the 'Mystic Tides' series that answers some of the questions that were left up in the air. C.J. lives in Atlanta, GA. with her husband, a category named Yin and a little one on the way. She is currently working on Book #2."

• From Earth to Terra
      by Beverly Jenness

View official review by hsimone - Published December 8, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on B&N

About the Author: "Beverly Jenness was born in Stanton California to a stay at home mother and a career military father. By the time she was four years old she had been from California to Pennsylvania to France and back to California. She grew up moving from place to place, frequently. As an introverted child, making new friends was always a difficult challenge. She spent hours alone cultivating a utopia in her mind. Where many children had imaginary friends, she had an imaginary world. This time helped her to develop her creative streak which has given rise to her novel Beverly was a high school dropout (became very bored with public education.) but later obtained her GED and then, after taking a few classes, her high school diploma. Over the years, she obtained an associate's degree in Applied Science as well. Beverly has two children, three stepchildren and three grandchildren plus a friend of one their son's that has adopted her and her husband. Being around so many young minds as technology has evolved, has given Beverly many ideas for this novel as well as others to come. Currently, Beverly is still gainfully employed building aircraft in Wichita Kansas. Although, over the years, she has attempted other occupations, life insurance, real estate, multi-level marketing, even retail. All of which has aided her in her writing. Beverly is one of those people that other people seem drawn to confide in. She is the type of person, everyone loves to talk to, and she listens."

• The Life Engine
      by Rick Baker

View official review by hsimone - Published November 1, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on B&N | on iTunes

About the Author: "Baker is a long time environmentalist and former contributor to Rolling Stone and American Cinematographer magazines. He is the co-writer of Sweet Summer, with Academy Award Winner, William Kelley. The film is now in development at Tyler Perry Studios. He is the author of the best-selling garden book, “The 7-Minute Organic Garden.” “The Life Engine” is his first novel, now available on Amazon, Audible, Barnes & Noble, Apple and Google Books."

• The Night Before Christmas
      by Rose Collins

View official review by hsimone - Published October 29, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

About the Author: "Rose Collins lives in Richmond, with her parrot Rainbow and a huge collection of teddy bears. She is currently working on a lift the flap to find Santa's little lost reindeer novelty book project. The Night Before Christmas was Rose's first book adventure."

• The Seventh Seal
      by A. J Dobbs

View official review by hsimone - Published October 29, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on B&N | on Smashwords

About the Author: "A.J. Dobbs is a fantasy adventure writer who lives near Cardiff in South Wales with his wife, two daughters and Dalmatian called Rosie. Inspired by good story telling he loves anything that gets his brain working! His first book The Seventh Seal blends science fact with fiction into a rip-roaring romp across multiple worlds..."

• Silvana - the Greening
      by Belinda Mellor

View official review by hsimone - Published August 23, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on B&N | on Smashwords | on iTunes

About the Author: "Belinda Mellor is a wanderer, currently living in New Zealand (she arrived on holiday 8 years ago and forgot to leave). Before that, the same thing happened to her in Ireland. She was actually born in England. She loves myths and legends and folklore, so all her stories touch on those things because she believes that's where truth is to be found."

• SPEAR Your Fear
      by Daniel D. Matthews

View official review by hsimone - Published August 14, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

About the Author: "I was born in the west Texas town of El Paso on the Rio Grande. Growing up life at home was challenging to say the least. I wasn’t particularly good at sports because of my small size so I spent most of my time either working on my creativity by daydreaming or creating intricate obstacle courses. Maybe that’s why I find Tough Mudders so appealing. After six years in the United States Air Force as a member of the 91st Security Police squadron at Minot, I worked for Toyota for 15 years developing and delivering leadership programs. In 2011 after writing my first book (The A3 Workbook: Unlock Your Problem Solving Mind) I started my consulting company. I attended college at Indiana Wesleyan University late in life while working full-time. I graduated summa cum laude with a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration. For fun I study the martial arts. I have a black belt in Kenpo Karate and I’ve studied four other styles. It’s the love of martial arts and the fact that someone very close to me was raped when she was only 6-years old that I created the program Personal Power 4U. I speak on the topics of Problem Solving, Storytelling In Business and Leadership, and How to Create a Mind Blowing Customer Experiences. I conduct my programs for corporations, conferences and associations. I’m also a Certified World Class Speaking Coach. I’ve coached executives, Tedx speakers and entrepreneurs on how to create presentations that make their audiences reflect, engage, act and laugh. I’m passionate about working with organizations to help them build leaders that Step Up, Stand Out and Inspire Action."

• Thin Places
      by Diane Owens Prettyman

View official review by hsimone - Published August 9, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on B&N

About the Author: "Diane Owens Prettyman is the author of two novels: Thin Places, which won first place in the Pacific Northwest Writers Association Manuscript Contest and Redesigning Emma, which won the Colorado Romance Writers Heart of the Rockies Contest. In their review of Thin Places, Kirkus Reviews stated: " ...the dialogue between Chloe and Finn rings true. Their story is refreshingly free of the sort of trumped-up incidents that often throw male and female leads together, and Prettyman intriguingly finds resonance in the fact that Chloe and Finn each harbor secrets. ...engaging romance/mystery with a hint of the otherworldly." Prettyman has also written for many publications including Oxygen, Texas, Oregon Coast and The Austin American Statesman. She lives in Austin, Texas."

• Hiking Tall: Mount Shasta in a Day
      by Marvin D. Cope

View official review by hsimone - Published July 22, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on B&N

About the Author: "Marv Cope grew up in Western North Carolina with very little hiking experience. He started an annual hike on Mount Whitney after retiring, summiting seven times to date. He added Mount Shasta to his challenges and found it quite extraordinarily fun. Marv wrote Hiking Tall: Mount Whitney in a Day and most recently added Hiking Tall: Mount Shasta in a Day."

• Lost Time
      by D.L. Orton

View official review by hsimone - Published July 19, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on B&N

About the Author: "USA BEST BOOK AWARD-WINNING AUTHOR D. L. ORTON lives in the Rocky Mountains where she and her husband are raising three boys, a golden retriever, two Siberian cats, and an extremely long-lived Triops. In her spare time, she's building a time machine so that someone can go back and do the laundry."

• The Seer's Daughter
      by Athena Daniels

View official review by hsimone - Published June 23, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

About the Author: "Athena Daniels lives on the northern beaches of sunny Western Australia where she writes romantic suspense, romantic thrillers and erotic suspense. Athena is the author of DESPERATE and THE SEER'S DAUGHTER, Book One, Beyond the Grave Series. Book Two, THE ALCHEMIST’S SON is scheduled for release August 2016. Athena has a natural curiosity with the 'more' there is in life, a theme you'll notice reflected throughout Athena's work. She holds several qualifications in Metaphysics and Natural Therapies, is a NLP practitioner, a life coach, and Feng Shui Specialist."

• The Boxcar Traveler
      by Christopher Morosoff

View official review by hsimone - Published June 7, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

About the Author: "Christopher Morosoff resides in Kendall park, NJ with his wife Terri, his high school sweetheart. The couple have three children and one grandchild. Christopher's inspiration for his Novel is his love of meeting new people and thge relationships he develops. This is Christopher's first Novel."

• Corvette Nightfire
      by Daniel Wetta

View official review by hsimone - Published May 30, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on B&N | on Smashwords | on iTunes

About the Author: "About Daniel Wetta I lived in Mexico a few years ago during President Felipe Calderon’s “War on Drugs.” I suffered the mourning of a young friend who was kidnapped, tortured, shot, and left dead in a vacant field in his home city of Monterrey. Israel was a bright and handsome college student. The mistake that cost him his life was to meet the wrong person at a party: She was the estranged wife of a drug cartel leader in Monterrey, but she didn’t tell Israel. Their flirtation put an end to his life and the dreams for him of all who loved him. I was aware of the violence in Mexico when I arrived and tried to stay alert. After I came to make friends and saw that they courageously lived their lives in a world abundant with daily horrors and impunity, I realized how safely we lead lives in the United States. I learned that we know so little about how we contribute to problems in the country to the south of us. Israel’s murder began to haunt me a little more each day. I couldn’t forget him. I spent two years researching and understanding the violence of organized crime, especially that of the drug cartels throughout Latin America and the United States. I found out that on the demand side, the people in the United States purchase the majority of drugs coming from the Mexican cartels. On the supply side, our country is the biggest supplier of illegal weapons used by these cartels. These weapons have been responsible for at least 100,000 deaths in Mexico in the past seven years. Even the casual marijuana enjoyed in social gatherings in our country arrives to us with a lot of blood on its leaves. We don’t think about that at all. I do now. I think about my friend, Israel, and how he must have known when his murderers had him that no hero was going to show up to save him. So I have some things to say about international relations between Mexico and the United States, but I say them through personal stories of heroic people on both sides of the border. I know that for people to engage enough to listen to me, they are going to need to relate to the characters I put before them. All the fictionalized people in my novels are based to varying degrees on real counterparts, or they are composites of people whom I knew or heard about. The incredible things that happen in the novels largely come from the news stories of Mexico and the United States. Do I need to say the cliché? Truth really is stranger than fiction. The result of my time in Mexico was the writing of the novel, The Z Redemption. Its sequel, Corvette Nightfire, was published in April, 2014. Updated second editions of both novels came out in 2015. The third volume of the trilogy, tentatively titled El Camino Oscuro, is being co-written with Robert Selfe and should be published within the next year. There are two free short stories related to The Z Redemption novels. The first, “Awakening from the Golden Sleep,” describes early adventures of Ana Valdez when she was a child in Mazatlán, Mexico, a resort city on the Pacific Ocean. In The Z Redemption, Ana is a main character who ends up being President of Mexico after a military coup overthrows the government. The second short story (of which I am especially proud) is a “prequel” to Corvette Nightfire. It is called “Nightfire!” It tells a fascinating story of Corvette Nightfire’s grandparents, Tarahumara Indians who became entangled with the Mexican drug cartel of Sinaloa. Their actions set up Corvette’s destiny, thrillingly depicted with tremendous suspense in the second novel. While working on the third novel with Robert Selfe, I plan also to write a short story related to it. As for my bio, I am a retired Certified Public Accountant who spent most of my career in the health care field. For twenty years I was the CFO and then CEO of a Virginia hospital and nursing home in a large healthcare company. I wrote short stories as a young man, and at the College of William and Mary I really learned to write. I received my undergraduate degree in History there. Later I went to graduate school at Virginia Commonwealth University, where I got a post-baccalaureate certificate in accounting and then my Masters in Business Administration from the University of Dallas. I am a life-long lover of Corvettes, Las Vegas, and living on the edge. I am in love with my family, and I am passionate about United States and Mexican history, the Spanish language, and using social media."

• American Charity
      by Ian C Dawkins Moore

View official review by hsimone - Published May 16, 2016

Genre: Romance
    View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on B&N | on Smashwords

About the Author: "I.C. Moore’s eclectic tastes and world experiences have been focused on exploring the nature of Culture Shock in America over the past 20 years, in essays, videos and poetry. He published, “America – Culture Shock: A handbook for Cultural Survive in America” in 2006, which he uses as a Teacher of English as a Second Language to immigrants groups in the Bay Area."

• End Matter
      by Ezekiel

View official review by hsimone - Published April 21, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on B&N

About the Author: "A Marine veteran, cook, avid reader and writer. I enjoy spending time with my family (both 2 and 4 legged) and riding my Harley when the time permits. My favorite works are from King, Koontz, and Lovecraft."

• Shot Down
      by Steve Snyder

View official review by hsimone - Published October 26, 2015

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on B&N | on Smashwords

About the Author: "Steve graduated from UCLA with a B.A. degree in Economics and has lived in Seal Beach, California since 1972. After 36 years in national sales and sales management, he retired from Vision Service Plan (VSP) in 2009. Soon after retirement, Steve began his quest to learn more about the World War II experiences of his father, pilot Howard Snyder, and his crew of the B-17, Susan Ruth. It became his passion, and after 4 ½ years of dedicated research, resulted in book, Shot Down. One result of his new career as a World War II historian is that he is a member of numerous World War II organizations and is President of the 306th Bomb Group Historical Association."

• Snafu'd
      by Ted Miller

View official review by hsimone - Published October 4, 2015

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

About the Author: "Ted Miller was born and raised in Waterbury CT. After serving three years in the Marines he got into the car business as a parts driver and in three years was promoted to parts manager. Got into the wholesale auto business selling cars between New York and Boston, the basis for his first novel, Deadbeats. Moved to CA and got involved in the retail auto business which resulted in the novel Snafu;d."

• Creature Of Habit
      by Angel Lawson

View official review by hsimone - Published December 4, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

About the Author: "Angel Lawson is a USA Today Bestselling Paranormal Romance author of adult and young adult fiction. She lives with her family in Atlanta and has a lifelong obsession with creating fiction from reality, either with paint or words. On a typical day you can find her writing, reading, plotting her escape from the zombie apocalypse and trying to get the glitter out from under her nails."

• The Adventures of Blizzard
      by Mark Cartwright

View official review by hsimone - Published October 27, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on B&N

About the Author: "I was born and raised in Princeton, Indiana. I grew up with dogs during my childhood. I still live in my hometown with my wife and four dogs. All of our dogs have been abandoned. We take them in and give them the love and nurturing they deserve."

• Rise of Raulet
      by Ryan Spires

View official review by hsimone - Published September 15, 2015

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on B&N

About the Author: "Ryan was born in 1979 in Minnesota. As a child Ryan didn’t particularly enjoy reading, until his brother suggested he give R. A. Salvatore’s The Crystal Shard a shot. That sparked a lifelong love of reading, especially fantasy stories. His own forays into writing were sporadic up to college. After earning a BA in psychology from the University of Minnesota at Morris, the idea of writing his own novels became more persistent and Ryan began writing more frequently, eventually attending conferences, finding a writing group, and waking up every morning two hours early to work on writing. In July of 2015, he published his first novel, Rise of Raulet. Ryan lives in Saint Paul, MN with his wife, Rachael, and their cat, Pants."

• Living on the Edge in Freedomtown
      by Jacqueline T. Small

View official review by hsimone - Published August 31, 2015

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

About the Author: "Jacqueline T. Small was born and raised in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She has earned a bachelors degree in Business Administration from Temple University and a masters degree in Education from Cheyney University of Pennsylvania. Her debut novel is titled"Freedomtown: A Novelette". She is currently residing in the Philadelphia area."

• An Empire Of Traitors
      by Serban V.C. Enache

View official review by hsimone - Published March 8, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

About the Author: "Born on March 25, 1989, Bucharest/Romania. Single parent child. I blame my mother for the long-ass name. Licensed in journalism. Creator of the Of Hate And Laughter series. This universe is one of infernal majesty; it's my heart and soul. If it matters to anyone, my sun sign is Aries, moon sign is Scorpio, mars sign is Gemini. I don't believe in astrology, by the way ^_^. My interests are: MMT (modern monetary theory), politics, history, literature, tv-shows, movies, games, music (from epic soundtracks to gothic metal), and I enjoy walking the green and concrete. I'm a deficit owl and social progressive. I'm also pretty good at drawing. My favorite author is Garth Marenghi (look him up). My favorite comedian is George Carlin. My favorite sitcom is NewsRadio. My favorite actor is Phil Hartman."

• That Place of Knowledge
      by Philip Alan Shalka

View official review by hsimone - Published December 5, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

About the Author: "My name is Philip Shalka and I am autistic. I am non- verbal but I am very smart. Realize there is a difference. The difference is that although I cannot speak, I have a large capacity to learn. What I would like to share with you is the conditions that allow for my skills to be used to the maximum of my potential. There is so much that I can say about who I am. My background is where my story begins. I am the youngest son in my Ukrainian family. I have an older sister Roberta. We are the awesome kids of our awesome parents, Bob and Elena. How can I describe my family? They are interesting and supportive. My parents traveled to many places. Most importantly, they all love me and think I am great. We have lived in this house for as long as I can remember. I was rather energetic growing up but mostly because I have always enjoyed seeing or hearing new things. Typically, much isn't expected from an autistic child. This might be the case for others but I am not typical. I understand things going on around me. Even if I look like I'm not paying attention, I actually am. I am just as capable of learning as anyone else. The difference is how I learn. I have had many therapists since I was young that have worked with me to help me improve my skills. My time with my therapists really made a difference for me. I have found that working has made me feel smart. There is so much that I want to achieve in my life. I enjoy being different and people I look up to are those who have been known for being different. People like Albert Einstein. He was known for his intelligent ideas that were very different from anyone else's ideas. His ideas changed the entire world and I think that is exactly what I want to do. I think that it is important to inspire others. I would like to create something that is interesting and different that will inspire people in the future. Given all that I have said, I hope this is a good explanation of who I am as a person. The thing that I would like to accomplish in the future is to write something meaningful that a lot of people will read and remember. I want to write something philosophical that will make people think and focus on deeper meaning of existence. This is important to me for many reasons. Firstly, I want to do this so that others get a glimpse at my thoughts. Also, I want to do this because I believe that in life everyone should create something positive. And this would be my contribution. Another reason is that I think it would be interesting to have my ideas written because it might inspire someone."

• The Devil's Fool
      by Rachel McClellan

View official review by hsimone - Published May 20, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

About the Author: "Rachel McClellan lives in New Hampshire, a place secretly known for its supernatural creatures. When she's not in her writing lair, she's partying with her husband and four crazy, yet lovable, children. Rachel's love for storytelling began as a child when the moon first possessed the night. For when the lights went out, her imagination painted a whole new world. And what a scary world it was..."

• A Minor Happy Ending
      by Shaan Ranae

View official review by hsimone - Published May 16, 2016

Genre: Romance
    View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on B&N | on Smashwords

About the Author: "I am fun loving wife and mother of two who found her love of Romance after reading a very popular Romance series. After that I was hooked. I loved disappearing into another world and reading the drama. I had a few stories concocted in my head and I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I enjoyed writing them. A nurse by day and romance lover by night. A mom and wife to the most amazing people in the world. I have many hats, but love every minute of it."

• I am Enough
      by Cheryl Miguel

View official review by hsimone - Published May 10, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

About the Author: "Cheryl Miguel is a mother, grandmother, and CPA. After fifteen years of living with lupus, she was forced to limit her accounting career. Having watched her father suffer through his own challenges with lupus, Cheryl has devoted her life to her healing. She lives in Northern California with her animals, Sandie and Candie."

• Sir Sydney Dinkum
      by Martha Gold, Marc Reilly

View official review by hsimone - Published May 2, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

About the Author: "Marc & Martha have collaborated on dozens of plays, books, and screenplays including the libretto for a stage adaptation of WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY and the concept for Hallmark*s REAR WINDOW with Christopher Reeve. Additional stage adaptations include Runyon's GUYS AND DOLLS OF BROADWAY, a children's theatre adaptation of Tolkien's THE HOBBIT and Hinton's THE OUTSIDERS. As ghostwriters, they have turned out books on such diverse matter as psychic warfare to celebrity autobiographies. Both writers have an extensive background in theater."

• The Sound of the Stones
      by Beth Hammond

View official review by hsimone - Published April 15, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on B&N

About the Author: "Beth Hammond, is an author/illustrator who writes anything from YA fantasy to children's picture books. She is a wife, mother, and lover of life. Her early years were spent serving in the military. Her middle years spent raising babies and figuring out her place in the world. She created stories for her book loving children and recently released "Do Your Toes Stink Good?", "The Blond Korean and the Blue-Eyed frog", "Puppy Waits" and "Teddy Pink Nose". Her YA fantasy novel "The Sound Of The Stones" is newly released and available now. Her later years are yet to come, and filled with hopes and endless dreams. She spends her days creating worlds through words and illustration."

• Aberrancy
      by Su Halfwerk

View official review by hsimone - Published April 4, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

About the Author: "Su Halfwerk writes in the horror and paranormal romance genres. From a tender age, the written word left a strong impression on her, later on terrifying, blood-chilling books became the object of her interest. Su’s style in horror combines shuddery terror with elements of surprise; some would even call it an enigmatic twist."

• Running from the Mirror
      by Howard Shulman

View official review by hsimone - Published March 31, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

About the Author: "HOWARD SHULMAN is currently working on a screenplay of Running from the Mirror as well as on a second book to help raise awareness about kids in foster care. When he isn’t writing, speaking, or working out at the gym, he is most likely exploring different foods and cultures with his wife and two stepdaughters. Living in San Diego, Howard gives thanks every day for the gift of a healthy family and a home filled with love and laughter."

• Shadowland
      by C.M. Gray

View official review by hsimone - Published March 18, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

About the Author: "Born in Essex, England with a heavy dose of 'travel lust', C.M.Gray has since been lucky enough to live and travel in many countries around the world. In fact he has lived for more years outside of England than he has living there! Working as a carpenter, fruit picker and even a stint in stock brokering, he has called home Buddhist monasteries in the Himalayan Mountains, the clamor of central Hong Kong to a farm in deep rural Burgundy. Forever vowing to return and sink his roots once again in English soil... some day, he hasn't quite made it back yet, but does live a little closer these days; just outside of Barcelona in the middle of the forest with his dogs and two wonderful children. C.M.Gray's writing is mostly fantasy and many of the experiences he has had in Asia, Africa and the middle east come to life in his writing. The Flight of the Griffin, a finalist in The Times/Chicken House literary competition 2013, follows the adventures of a group of young friends as they battle demons and bandits on a magical quest to stop the world from tipping into Chaos. Shadowland blends fantasy with history as an old story teller takes his audience back to Britain's dark ages and the birth of the Arthurian legend."

• Homo Avatarius
      by JT Alblood

View official review by hsimone - Published January 21, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

About the Author: "In order to keep realism, I am trying to write my books by making stories of my memories on reincarnation periods. I usually write through the inspirations on my previous lives and interesting era-events during my reincarnation process. The way of my storytelling, fiction of my book, and the subject of my book are all extremely different from all the previous literatures. Written by using anamorphous method (which was used for the first time in this book along the whole history of literature), this novel tells its own story on each chapter, and when stepped away it creates a totally different view."

• Brailling For Wile
      by James Zerndt

View official review by hsimone - Published January 8, 2016

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

About the Author: "James Zerndt is the author of THE CLOUD SEEDERS, THE KOREAN WORD FOR BUTTERFLY, and BRAILLING FOR WILE. His short story, "THIS JERKWATER LIFE", was recently chosen as an Editor's Pick in Amazon's Kindle Singles store. He received an MFA in Writing from Pacific University and now lives in Portland, Oregon, with his wife and son. He can also be found at jameszerndt (dot) com"

• Get on Board Little Children
      by Victoria Randall

View official review by hsimone - Published December 7, 2015

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

About the Author: "Victoria Randall lives in Seattle, where she works as a case manager. A graduate of Oberlin College, she is the author of The Ring of the Dark Elves, and the Children in Hiding series. She believes in the power of story, especially science fiction and fantasy, to help us appreciate the textures of our own reality and create new visions for our lives."

• The Hybrid
      by Venus Morales

View official review by hsimone - Published August 7, 2015

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on B&N

About the Author: "Who am I, you ask? I am a woman who wears many hats. A mother of 3 wonderful boys is my first and for most priority, and from there it trickles down. I'm a wife, a cook, a house cleaner and a mommy to two dogs and a lazy loveable cat. Then there's my ulternate life. The writer she is the kid who refuses to grow up. Stuck in a mind state of a teenager, who still has imaginary friends. The two halfs of me get along great!! As long as I let the writer out and listen to my imaginary friends tell me their story, then there's no conflict. If I keep her caged up too long... Well... You know what they say, when you keep the beast caged up to long, it gets angry. :-) The life of a writer is who your born to be, not a job you just take on. It's who I am."

• Stage Business
      by Gerry Fostaty

View official review by hsimone - Published July 30, 2015

View book: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on B&N | on Smashwords | on iTunes

About the Author: "Gerry Fostaty is a Canadian author. Stage Business is his first novel. He was an actor working on stage and in film and television for more than twenty years. Gerry is also the author of As You Were: The Tragedy at Valcartier (non-fiction) published by Goose Lane Editions."

Page last updated: January 23, 2017, 3:45 pm